S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
简介A senior South Korean diplomat has held talks with the new US special envoy for North Korean human r ...
A senior South Korean diplomat has held talks with the new US special envoy for North Korean human rights and agreed to cooperate in launching a consultative body to better address the rights situation in the North, Seoul's foreign ministry said Tuesday.
Chun Young-hee, director general for the Korean Peninsula peace regime, and Ambassador Julie Turner met Monday and discussed efforts to coordinate over North Korean human rights issues, it said.
Turner, who is currently visiting Seoul on a three-day trip, was officially sworn in Friday, ending more than six years of vacancy at the post.
Chun congratulated Turner on her appointment, saying the two countries could strengthen joint efforts to improve North Korea's human rights situation and hold the North accountable for the issue.
He also proposed launching a consultative body on North Korea's human rights to discuss specific cooperative measures between the two countries, according to the ministry.
The two sides agreed to maintain close communication to launch the consultative body via diplomatic channels at the earliest date possible. (Yonhap)
President Yoon Suk Yeol on Tuesday pledged to boost the global competitiveness of South Korea's ...
The Seoul city government has initiated a financial assistance program for single women interested i ...
Assets held by South Korean households in Seoul and the surrounding metropolitan areas were some 70 ...
Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
Inflation driving up costs to eat out
Explore the culture of Joseon during Chuseok
S. Korea to extend $5 mil worth of fertilizer aid to Ukraine via U.S. agency
GOT7’s Youngjae to release 1st solo LP “Do It” next month
Lotte increases efforts to give back to society
- S. Korea to send US$1 mln in aid to quake
- Seoul shares end higher on tech gains, Fed comments
- N. Korea sent more than 1,000 containers of military equipment, munitions to Russia: White House
- [Today’s K
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
- Choo calls for end to protectionism, supply chain recovery during G20 meeting
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
- Le Sserafim becomes house ambassadors for Louis Vuitton
- [Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
- S. Korean ambassador says stronger Russia
- “러시아 공군기, 평양 도착…북러 간 접촉 활발”
- Nam June Paik Art Center to be led by new director Park Nam
- Yoon plans state visits to UK, Netherlands later this year
- Orchestra composed of players with visual impairment to perform Oct. 4
- S. Korean fencer Oh Sang
- Auteur Chung Ji
- The Korea Herald to hold space forum on Oct. 11
- Chief justice seat at top court left vacant amid Assembly chaos
- Scholarships to begin in October for Ukrainian students in S. Korea
- Immersive, digital art shows to enjoy during extended holiday
- NewJeans sings 2023 Lol World Championship anthem